- How long have you worked for your current employer and how did you get into the industry?
I started Rollz in April 2010. My previous position was CEO at Bugaboo, a global Dutch (design) pram supplier. At that time, same as in the baby world, there was a demand for modern, well-designed and functional mobility products. I found a designer and an investor and so it all started.
- What’s the first thing you do when you get into work in the morning?
Get a cup of coffee, turn the computer on and say hello to the colleagues (often in that order J). After this I work through a series of emails that came in over night from other parts of the world. A global operation means there is always someone who is working with our products.
- What’s your biggest achievement in the industry to date?
Since the start of Rollz, ergonomic design and functionality, and modern look and colors became almost the standard in the industry. It feels like being a trend setter.
- What do you most enjoy about working in the industry?
We mostly enjoy the feedback we get from happy customers, showing us how their life changed after purchasing a Rollz product. It is amazing to see pictures and movies showing them living an independent life.
- What’s the hardest part of your job?
We know we have a great product range that can be life changers for our consumers. We are working hard to transfer this knowledge to our dealers in order to help them sell our products.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
Never give up!
- Which other company (inside or outside the industry) do you most admire and why?
There are quite a few but one that I would like to mention is VANMOOF, a Dutch bicycle company that reinvented urban mobility.
- Tell us something about yourself that none of your colleagues know?
We have quite an open culture within the Rollz team so I hope that my colleagues know me almost as good as my wife does (and yes, my wife happens to be one of the colleagues).
- If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you buy?
The best coffee machine in the world to place it in our office.
- If you could invite any four people (dead or alive) to a dinner party, who would they be?
Barack Obama, my son, Steve Jobs, Pieter Swart (Coolblue)
- What do you enjoy doing outside of work?
I very much enjoy walks and sailing tours, preferably with my family.
- What was the last thing that made you laugh out loud?
My (Dutch) colleagues taking German phone calls. It always ends up with making funny Dutch-English-German sentences.
IN A WORD
Favourite food: leg of lamb
Favourite drink: coffee
Favourite holiday destination: British east and south coast (sailing)
Favourite band / music artist: Tone Fish
Favourite film: Master and Commander
Favourite book: Letter for the king (Tonke Dragt)
Favourite TV show: Zondag met Lubach (Dutch news satire)
Favourite shop: Coolblue
Favourite gadget: Sony headphone with noice cancellation
Favourite thing you own: 1999 Saab 9 3 convertable