Faulty mobility scooter battery found to be cause of fatal flat fire


A man has died after a faulty mobility scooter battery was found to be the cause of a fire in his Leicester flat.

A report from LeicestershireLive explained how firefighters attended the ground floor flat in Leicester at 1.15am on September 30 after a neighbour reported smoke coming from a window.

Paramedics discovered an unconscious man inside and after been taken to Hospital was sadly declared to have died.

Story continues below

The report went on to detail how this led to a Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service investigation into the cause of the fire which confirmed the faulty battery in the mobility scooter.

A fire service spokeswoman said: “I can confirm that the cause of the fire was accidental – failure of lithium batteries located inside a mobility scooter. We received a call from a resident stating they could see smoke from a nearby flat.

“Crews forced entry and found a male casualty who was unconscious. The casualty was taken to Queens Medical Centre but sadly passed away in the early hours on Wednesday 30 September.”

Confirming: “A fire investigation was completed that day, and damage was 100% to a mobility scooter by fire, 30% to property by fire.”

Tags : batteryfatalityfirelithium battery
Alex Douglas

The author Alex Douglas

Leave a Response