Charging mobility scooter goes up in flames

derbyshire fire and rescue scooter fire

A mobility scooter that was left to charge outside caught fire causing damage to a property.

The incident occurred in Staveley, Derbyshire, and saw firefighters called out to Pullman Close.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue extinguished the mobility scooter fire, which had spread to the window of a property.

Story continues below

East Midlands Ambulance service also attended the incident.

In an unrelated incident in August, a man in Skegness was pulled to safety after an “unknown electrical fault” caused a mobility scooter to set on fire.

Sister and brother Daniel and Megan Cooling pulled the scooter user, who had one leg, to safety on Saturday when they saw smoke coming from the machine minutes before it “burst into flames”.

Mr Cooling told the BBC that the siblings saw flames coming from the scooter’s motor and battery and the man trying to get off.

Tags : firemobility scooterscooter safety
Joe Peskett

The author Joe Peskett


  1. I would be interested to know more about this incident. I have been in the business for over 45 years and have never heard of this sort of thing occuring. I would suspect that this was a deliberate act of vandalism.
    The next thing is we will have customers being told to remove their scooters from blocks of flats in case they catch alight.

    1. Hi John in most instances mobility scooters are already banned from being charged in communal areas and users are advised to only charge them in the day time to limit risks. check this link out which is very interest.
      A company called Skootstor produce a solar powered charging & storage station for all types of mobility scooters. they have designed this solution specifically for mobility scooter users who live in communal developments. The Skootstor needs no foundation, complies with planning under permitted development and also charges scooters for free using the suns energy.

  2. I would just like to comment Mr Sargent on your answer. My landlord has just told me to move my mobility scooter and wheelchair from ‘the communal hallway, because of this fire risk thing. It has made it very very awkward for me now as I have it all in my flat ..

Leave a Response